Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Gold Plates

Joseph had the First Vision in 1820 when he was 14 years old.  It wasn't until 1823, when he was 17, that he even learned about the ancient record which would become The Book of Mormon.  

During this three year period, he passed through his mid-teens.  When teachers and friends should have been helping and strengthening him, they were instead hostile towards him. Even though some trusted friends turned against him, Joseph continually had the support of his family.

Joseph is not a perfect man by any means.  He acknowledged that during this period he "frequently fell into many foolish errors, and displayed the weakness of youth."  He was a teenage boy and was cheery and enjoyed having fun and didn't always act in consistency with the character of one called of God.  But during this time he grew and matured and continued to work on his family's farm.

On September 21, 1823, Joseph Smith retired for the night.  Concerned about his standing before the Lord, he earnestly prayed for a forgiveness of his sins.  Suddenly his room filled with a light and a heavenly messenger stood by his bedside.  Joseph described this messenger as such: "He had on a loose robe of the most exquisite whiteness.  It was a whiteness beyond anything earthly I had ever seen; nor do I believe that any earthly thing could be made to appear so exceedingly white and brilliant... Not only was his robe exceedingly white, but his whole person was glorious beyond description, and his countenance truly like lightning. The room was exceedingly light, but not so very bright as immediately around his person.  When I first looked upon him, I was afraid; but the fear soon left me."

This messenger introduced himself as Moroni, a prophet who had lived on the American continent about 400 years after Christ.  He came to tell Joseph Smith about an ancient record written on gold plates that had "an account of the former inhabitants of this continent...He also said that the fulness of the everlasting Gospel was contained in it, as delivered by the Savior to ancient inhabitants."  Moroni told Joseph where to find this record which had been buried by Moroni himself 1400 years prior in a hill close to Joseph's home. Moroni also recited many passages from the Bible quoting prophets such as Malachi, Isaiah, Joel, and Peter. This message was so important that Moroni returned twice more that night and repeated the same instructions.  He also appeared again in the morning to Joseph and recited his message again.

The morning after Moroni appeared to him, Joseph went to the place where Moroni had told him the record was.  The plates were concealed in a stone box underneath a larger stone. Joseph managed to remove the stone and find the plates underneath.  As Joseph attempted to take them out, he was forbidden by Moroni to do so.  For the next four years on that exact day, Joseph went to the place and was there tutored by Moroni and other heavenly messengers until he was deemed ready to receive them.  


"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people"(Revelations 14:16).

"Having gone as usual at the end of another year to the place where they were deposited, the same heavenly messenger delivered them up to me with this charge: that I should be responsible for them; that if I should let them go carelessly, or through any neglect of mine, I should be cut off;...I soon found out the reason why I had received such strict charges to keep them safe...For no sooner was it known that I had them, than the most strenuous exertions were used to get them from me...But by the wisdom of God, they remained safe in my hands, until I had accomplished by them what was required at my hand."

Through the power of God, Joseph was able to translate this ancient record written on gold plates into The Book of Mormon.  Many people were scribes to Joseph but only 11 others besides him were allowed to see the plates.  Their testimonies of the plates can be found here and here at the beginning of the book. The Book of Mormon was first published on March 26, 1830, 11 days before The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was officially established.  You can read Joseph Smith's testimony of The Book of Mormon here and another account by him about the gold plates in verses 27-65 here.

I know that Joseph Smith did translate the Book of Mormon through the power of God.  In my next post I'll talk more about what The Book of Mormon is and how you can know that this is true. I know that this is true because I've prayed about it and have received an answer.

Isaiah 29:11 - "And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed."

Joseph Smith History 1:65 - "He then said to me...that there was no such thing now as ministering of angels, and that if I would bring the plates to him he would translate them.  I informed him that part of the plates were sealed, and that I was forbidden to bring them. He replied, 'I cannot read a sealed book...'"

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment